Grandparents Sharing Special Times
sharing special times is so
important during this time of life!
These times can mean so many
different things for the expectant couple. As the grandparents,
sharing special times, consider giving any of the following items.
I'm sure that your children will be appreciated of any of these items!
- make or purchase a floral arrangement for their house
- gift card for a pedicure and manicure or a spa day
- gift card to a relaxing afternoon movie, buy a DVD or purchase Netflix
- grocery shop and surprise the couple with a special meal
- gift card to their favorite restaurant or pizza delivery
- have the yard mowed and edged
- have a cleaning service come to the house for a "spring cleaning"
- have the carpet cleaned
- help prepare the nursery by packing up the room and assisting Mom with hanging newborn clothes, putting up toys, etc.
- Any gesture will be appreciated!
Grandparents Sharing Special Times...so Volunteer!
So you ask the question, "What can I do to help?" As you will see you can do almost anything and it will be helpful to the couple!
Grandparents sharing special times with their children ...so what can you do to help?
Volunteer to help out!
Yes, I decided to volunteer to go with my daughter
and then later drive her to her OB/GYN appointments (while her husband was at
work) from March until September. Since I was recently laid off, it gave me an
opportunity to share this special time! Her Physician is Dr. Chet Wells, located at Texas Health
Presbyterian Hospital in Plano is an excellent hospital and about 30 minutes
travel time from her home.
Wells’ office is at the hospital and he is recognized as an excellent doctor
for high-risk pregnancies. My daughter is so thankful to be his patient. After
several visits, the routine became the same for all high-risk patients.
progressed to seeing Dr. Wells every two weeks and as the pregnancy
continued, the more often she saw him. We eventually were going to see him every other day!
the routine was to drive to her house about 2 hours before the visit,
load up her packed suitcases and then get her in the car.
just in case, you have to be prepared during a high-risk pregnancy that
you can enter the hospital at anytime! You need to literally have
"your bags packed" at each visit. After seven months, my daughter's
luggage was always packed and waiting at the door, just in case...!
Grandparents sharing special times with our children and other family
members, we feel that it is so important in building this special
relationship that will last forever!
- Volunteer to help out daily
- Be a sounding board
Routine at the Doctor's Office
As grandparents sharing special times with your children, you tend to notice week after week or trip after trip, the routines that exist in daily life especially at the OB/GYN office:
sonogram is then performed to see the progress of the little tykes from the
previous visit. (The
clarity of the Sonogram pictures
has improved so much in the past thirty years. You can see fingers and
feet, arched spine, baby's head and all other features--and this isn't 3D!) Sonogram
pictures were shared with Mom, Dad and driver!
- All I could ever say was "Amazing," "Just Amazing!" Yes, "Amazing" that my daughter was pregnant and with twins and "Amazing" that they were perfect! Everyone had to laugh at my lack of vocabulary!
- It is humbling how your vocabulary becomes limited when you are becoming a grandparent! Just wait until the babies are here and you begin talking "Baby Babble!"
she sees Dr. Wells for either a pelvic check which is every other visit. Then he will give her specific discussions for each
baby including height and weight measurements and what has happened to the developing babies since
the last visit
if there are any concerns for the boys; discusses her home routine; re-emphasizes what she can and can't do
- Checks intravenous injection sites and bruising
she has any questions, then he answers them. Refers to her “Little Red Book."
is also very reassuring as she goes through this process
- He and my daughter connected as Doctor and patient! His dry sense of humor always made us laugh, but his caring spirit was always obvious for mother and twins! Thank you, Dr. Wells!
To Sum Up....
How Do you Share those Special Times?
How do you share those special times with the expectant couple? How have you helped during the pregnancy?
These actions will create a special relationship with your children that can last forever.
Please share with us!
From Grandparents Sharing Special Times to Expectant Grandparent